Tuesday 5 June 2012

The Saddle and Sgurr na Sgine

The Saddle is the iconic mountain south of Glen Shiel. The route to it is over the Forcan ridge, a worthy outing in itself, with a path that teeters over rock walls on both sides and sharpens the senses. The summit of Saddle is less impressive, a cylindrical concrete trig point (the OS equivalent of a pre fab) and a flattish grassy hump but the compensations on a day like today are the balcony views of Knoydart with Ladhar Bheinn majestic set against the azure blue sky in the early morning.


Sgurr na Sgine my view on waking

And here's proof

Tha Saddle and Forcan Ridge from Sgurr na Sgine
And again but from the Faochag ridge

Five Sisters from Bealach Coire Mhalagain

Ladhar Bheinn from Bealach Coire Mhalagain

The Saddle Trig Point

Ladhar Bheinn from The Saddle
Saturday, 2 June 2012
Distance:   11km
Ascent:      700m
Time:         3hrs  56mins


m   Sgurr na Sgine         946m              37mins
t     NW top                    942m      
m   The Saddle             1010m      1hr  43mins
t     Sgurr na Forcan       963m      2hrs 28mins


I woke at 5:00am after a deep sleep and peeked outside the tent to see the sun lighting up Sgurr na Sgine, it was an inspirational start to the day but I dozed for a while before making a brew of tea and having some breakfast. It was cold and gloves and an insulated jacket were definitely required but the skies promised a perfect day. I was surprised that the ground was stone dry as I packed and I was walking before 7am. I crossed Bealach an Toiteil and rather than climbing the screes I contoured round to the left (south) until I came to a wall which I followed through an area of boulders until there was a grassy ramp leading to the summit. It was a quick ascent and it felt invigorating to be on a summit so early. I skipped over to the adjoining top as the views of the whole Saddle ridge came into view.

There is a sharp descent to a ridge that curves eastwards towards Faochag and a small cairn marks the descent route down through a rock field to the Bealach Coire Mhalagain.  The views to both sides were impressive: Knoydart to the south and the Five Sisters to the north.  I drank more water and took off my warm layers for the 320m climb to the Saddle.  There is a well defined path which crosses several small burns and takes you across a boulder field before the final steep climb to the summit. I decided against stopping by the inelegant trig point and climbed along the ridge to a small cairn which is about the same height but which gives better views of the Forcan ridge and down to Glen Shiel.  It was time for a second breakfast: a cheese roll and a mars bar.

The  descent over the Forcan ridge was taken at a leisurely pace, it is tricky in places with a lot of exposure. I followed the ridge line until the final ascent of Sgurr na Forcan which I made by the left (north) side, a steep rocky gully which is easier to ascend than descend. I was still all alone on the hill, further along the ridge I decided to descend to the south of the ridge down a grass and scree slope that I had used during my first ascent of the Saddle. There is an easy traverse round the base of the rock face and then onto the path by the wall that descends from Bealach Coire Mhalagain.

The walk out is easy walking over a well graded path. I was below 400 metres before I met the first of the morning walkers coming up the path and they all seemed a bit huffy that I was descending at this early hour.  I made the road before 11am and managed to hitch a lift from a Swiss couple up to the Cluanie Inn and there was time for a pint before the midday bus arrived. I was in Fort William by 1:30pm where I spent half an hour searching out the new finish to the West Highland Way and then soaking up the lunchtime sun along with hundreds of other locals and visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks